Clogged drains are no fun! Unfortunately, it is an issue we all have to deal with at one time or another. There are ways though, to help reduce the chance of clogged drains in your California home. Here are five tips to help prevent the frustration of clogged drains.
5 Tips to Keep Your Drains Clear
- Avoid Grease – Do not put oil and grease down your drain because they can harden once they are in your pipes, which can cause build-up over time.
- No Foods Down the Drain – Food is only acceptable to put down the drain if you have a garbage disposal. If your California home has a garbage disposal, most food items are acceptable, but please avoid peels, coffee grounds, and eggshells, as they can damage the disposal and cause blockages in your pipes.
- Only Flush TP – The only thing that should ever be flushed down the toilet is toilet paper! Avoid flushing paper towels, feminine products, or any other material that is too bulky for your plumbing system to properly dispose of.
- Flush Away Grease – Each week it is a good idea to pour boiling water down the drain of your home. This practice will help to flush away any debris or grease build-up lingering in your drains.
- Drain Screens – The use of drain screens in your kitchen sink is a great idea to help avoid issues with your house plumbing. Having a drain screen in place filters unwanted materials while still letting water pass through.